The Brooklyn Art Project HQ doubles as James Cospito's studio, so naturally I get to do some interviews with him at the same location.
James Cospito (BAP / Facebook / Flickr / LinkedIn / SML Flickr / Twitter) is an artist, painter, photographer, illustrator, designer in New York City. He is also the Co-Founder / Creative Director at StrutNYC and BrooklynArtProject.
In this short video interview, James Cospito talks about his process in creating his NYC Subway series:
And photography shot during that day:
1. James carries a Moleskine with him and does quick ink drawings on the notebooks as he rides the subway. He applies watercolors to them afterwards. This mixed media painting titled si ves algo II, was created based on his Moleskine sketches.
2. Subway Moleskine Sketches
3. More Moleskine sketches
4. Tools matter. James' weapon of choice for his Moleskine sketches: the Rotring rapidograph, for its ability to draw very fine lines as well as its archival quality.
5. Moleskine lovers rejoice!
6. Mixed Media Painting: ContinentalDivide lr by James Cospito. 3,500 USD. Available for purchase at artist's website.
7. Artist Toolbox: lots and lots of clamps!
8. Artist Toolbox: wild array of paintbrushes.
9. Still Life Drawing (Detail).
10. Still Life Drawing (Detail). I thought that the blue marks are interesting bit. I didn't know that it was James' work when I photographed these originally so I did not inquire as to their function, but they add an interesting accent to the piece:
13th Annual DUMBO Art Under the Bridge Festival NYC 2009
+ 01: Overview
+ 02: Ruza Bagaric
+ 03: Brooklyn Art Project
+ 04: James Cospito
+ 05: J. F. Bautista
+ 06: Ellen Driscoll
+ 07: Fernando Souto
+ 08: Agata Olek
+ 09: Dean Russo
+ 10: Choichun Leung
Related SML Univese
+ SML Fine Art (Flickr / FriendFeed / Twitter)
+ SML Flickr Collections: Art + Artists
+ SML Flickr Sets: Dumbo Arts Center: Art Under the Bridge Festival 2009
+ SML Pro Blog: Art
+ SML Vimeo Album: Dumbo Art Festival 2009
+ SML YouTube Playlist: Dumbo Art Festival 2009